PHOENIX — Two men were seriously injured in an oil fire Tuesday morning in downtown Phoenix near Sky Harbor Airport.
Explosions rocked the area near 24th and Jefferson streets, where Dixco Tanker Yard Sales and Leasing was going up in flames. Black plumes of smoke were visible for quite a distance as thousands of gallons of oil from tankers burned. Nearby business in the industrial area were evacuated by fire and hazmat crews.
Authorities said one of the victims, 45, suffered third-degree burns to his arms and legs, while the other, 23, suffered second- and third-degree burns to over half his body. They were taken to Maricopa County Hospital.
I-10 near Sky Harbor, drivers may encounter smoke from a fire off the freeway. No delays so far. pic.twitter.com/xuO1cCgSiK
— Arizona DOT (@ArizonaDOT) April 22, 2014
A fire spokesman said the first emergency call reporting the fire came in around 7 a.m. The fire burned for about two hours but smoke was easing up long before then.
Runways at that end of the airport were temporarily closed and planes landing were sent to other runways. The airport said no flights were delayed.
There were traffic delays, though. Light-rail service was shut down along Jefferson Street, forcing all service onto Washington for the time being.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier