PHOENIX — Two men were seriously injured in an oil fire Tuesday morning in downtown Phoenix near Sky Harbor Airport.
Explosions rocked the area near 24th and Jefferson streets, where Dixco Tanker Yard Sales and Leasing was going up in flames. Black plumes of smoke were visible for quite a distance as thousands of gallons of oil from tankers burned. Nearby business in the industrial area were evacuated by fire and hazmat crews.
Authorities said one of the victims, 45, suffered third-degree burns to his arms and legs, while the other, 23, suffered second- and third-degree burns to over half his body. They were taken to Maricopa County Hospital.
I-10 near Sky Harbor, drivers may encounter smoke from a fire off the freeway. No delays so far. pic.twitter.com/xuO1cCgSiK
— Arizona DOT (@ArizonaDOT) April 22, 2014
A fire spokesman said the first emergency call reporting the fire came in around 7 a.m. The fire burned for about two hours but smoke was easing up long before then.
Runways at that end of the airport were temporarily closed and planes landing were sent to other runways. The airport said no flights were delayed.
There were traffic delays, though. Light-rail service was shut down along Jefferson Street, forcing all service onto Washington for the time being.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again