PHOENIX — Two men were seriously injured in an oil fire Tuesday morning in downtown Phoenix near Sky Harbor Airport.
Explosions rocked the area near 24th and Jefferson streets, where Dixco Tanker Yard Sales and Leasing was going up in flames. Black plumes of smoke were visible for quite a distance as thousands of gallons of oil from tankers burned. Nearby business in the industrial area were evacuated by fire and hazmat crews.
Authorities said one of the victims, 45, suffered third-degree burns to his arms and legs, while the other, 23, suffered second- and third-degree burns to over half his body. They were taken to Maricopa County Hospital.
I-10 near Sky Harbor, drivers may encounter smoke from a fire off the freeway. No delays so far. pic.twitter.com/xuO1cCgSiK
— Arizona DOT (@ArizonaDOT) April 22, 2014
A fire spokesman said the first emergency call reporting the fire came in around 7 a.m. The fire burned for about two hours but smoke was easing up long before then.
Runways at that end of the airport were temporarily closed and planes landing were sent to other runways. The airport said no flights were delayed.
There were traffic delays, though. Light-rail service was shut down along Jefferson Street, forcing all service onto Washington for the time being.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night