PHOENIX — Council leaders in the nation’s sixth largest city will be briefed Tuesday on drought conditions in the region and plans to ensure a strong water supply in the future.
Phoenix gets the overwhelmingly majority of its water from snowpack, which travels to the desert via the Salt, Verde and Colorado rivers. Currently, Phoenix does not take all the water it is allotted from the Colorado River and water department staffers want council members to let them move forward with a plan to trade water with Tucson.
The plan calls for Phoenix to store its excess water in Tucson for that city to use as needed. In exchange, Phoenix would be entitled to some of Tucson’s water in the future.
“Phoenix’s tap water supply is in very good shape for decades to come,” said Water Department Spokesman Ken Kroski. “Extremely long-term temperature increases in our watersheds could result in reduced snowpack and even affect the cost of water.”
A city council report from Water Services Director Kathryn Sorensen said the following:
“No matter how well Phoenix has planned to avoid a water shortage, the regional economy may suffer if reliable water supplies are threatened. Looking decades into the future, the City’s analyses show that continued growth, with the possible effects of climate change on the region, will increase the chance of a shortage that would directly impact Phoenix.”
Kroski said Phoenicians use about the same amount of water they did 20 years ago, thanks to conservation efforts and more efficient appliances.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food