PHOENIX — Veterans who find themselves in legal trouble could soon find more support in Mesa, Chandler and Gilbert.
The municipal courts in those three cities are working with the Veterans Administration (VA) to offer special programs for veterans facing traffic charges and misdemeanors, to include some assaults, DUI and domestic violence.
“It’s really about trying to be effective and affect defendants and individuals in such a way that they don’t re-offend,” said Paul Thomas, court administrator with Mesa Municipal Court. “And part of that is getting them the right kind of assistance and counseling and management to get them back on track.”
Thomas said the VA will assign a coordinator to work with veterans to address underlying issues that may have led to their arrests. The Southeast Valley communities could model the program after the Phoenix Veterans Court which launched last year.
While there is no official start date, Thomas hopes to hold a training session this summer for prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges and others who will be involved.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy