PHOENIX — An Arizona border town is reportedly seeing fewer cases of international money laundering thanks to a new scam operated by Mexican drug cartels.
According to the Nogales International, cartels are no longer trying to smuggle cash across the border. Instead, they are buying large amounts of clothes to transport and sell in Mexico, usually at higher prices than they paid in the United States.
“The cartels are smart. It’s a business operation and they understand what to do and what not to do,” [Nogales Police Department Chief Derek] Arnson said.
Arnson said $500,000 worth of clothes will pass through customs at the border with little problem.
The scam is not new. Cartels were reportedly using the idea as early as 2011.
A Nogales department store owner said he has not been approached about the scam by either law enforcement or the cartels.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier