PHOENIX — Since earning status as best new brewery in the world from a popular beer-review site in the winter, business is booming for Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company in Gilbert.
“We’ve seen about a 300 percent growth when it comes to people walking through the door,” Buford said. “We had a few things go wrong in fermentation, as they always do, and it was just the worst time. So it was a little overwhelming. It was good and bad all at once.”
Buford sold his window-washing business four years ago and tapped into his wife’s 401(k) to open the brewery. He’s been a little shocked at all the positive response but he knew it was possible.
“I knew that if we built something based on local first, as a brewery, and were able to sustain that in small batches, we could do something special,” he said.
Arizona Wilderness was also recently featured in Esquire magazine. Buford said he was overwhelmed with the article, which he expected to be a short piece and ended up being several pages long.
“We spent an hour with (writer Eric Benson) and I just poured my heart out to him about my passion,” Buford said. “About using local ingredients, and becoming a staple of the community based on the foundation that we love this state and love who we are.”
As the outpouring of support continues for Buford and the rest of the brewery team, he said it’s more important than ever fore the brewery to stay true to its roots.
“Our philosophies got tested during the initial rush of success, but we continued to stay local and stay the course for the direction we originally wanted to go. We made sure to do that, and I believe that’s still the route we’re on today.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night