PHOENIX — Since earning status as best new brewery in the world from a popular beer-review site in the winter, business is booming for Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company in Gilbert.
“We’ve seen about a 300 percent growth when it comes to people walking through the door,” Buford said. “We had a few things go wrong in fermentation, as they always do, and it was just the worst time. So it was a little overwhelming. It was good and bad all at once.”
Buford sold his window-washing business four years ago and tapped into his wife’s 401(k) to open the brewery. He’s been a little shocked at all the positive response but he knew it was possible.
“I knew that if we built something based on local first, as a brewery, and were able to sustain that in small batches, we could do something special,” he said.
Arizona Wilderness was also recently featured in Esquire magazine. Buford said he was overwhelmed with the article, which he expected to be a short piece and ended up being several pages long.
“We spent an hour with (writer Eric Benson) and I just poured my heart out to him about my passion,” Buford said. “About using local ingredients, and becoming a staple of the community based on the foundation that we love this state and love who we are.”
As the outpouring of support continues for Buford and the rest of the brewery team, he said it’s more important than ever fore the brewery to stay true to its roots.
“Our philosophies got tested during the initial rush of success, but we continued to stay local and stay the course for the direction we originally wanted to go. We made sure to do that, and I believe that’s still the route we’re on today.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them