PHOENIX — Arizona’s wildfire season is underway about a month earlier than usual and the manpower and air tanker numbers needed to battle fires are in good shape, said a fire official.
Prescott Fire Division Chief Darrel Willis, however, said those resources are going to be stretched thin once the rest of the West starts burning.
“We’re the bull’s-eye now in Arizona but in the next couple of months Nevada and California will start seeing wildfires,” Willis said. “California is in terrible shape from the drought. We will start competing with other states for resources. This could be a very, very long fire season.”
The O’Donnell fire near Elgin burned almost 600 acres in southeastern Arizona over the weekend and so far is the largest wildfire of the year in Arizona. That fire is almost fully contained.
The Brown Fire in the Huachuca Mountains near Sierra Vista burned 240 acres and is 90 percent contained.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.