PHOENIX — Arizona’s wildfire season is underway about a month earlier than usual and the manpower and air tanker numbers needed to battle fires are in good shape, said a fire official.
Prescott Fire Division Chief Darrel Willis, however, said those resources are going to be stretched thin once the rest of the West starts burning.
“We’re the bull’s-eye now in Arizona but in the next couple of months Nevada and California will start seeing wildfires,” Willis said. “California is in terrible shape from the drought. We will start competing with other states for resources. This could be a very, very long fire season.”
The O’Donnell fire near Elgin burned almost 600 acres in southeastern Arizona over the weekend and so far is the largest wildfire of the year in Arizona. That fire is almost fully contained.
The Brown Fire in the Huachuca Mountains near Sierra Vista burned 240 acres and is 90 percent contained.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon