PHOENIX — Who needs to travel to participate in Monday’s Boston Marathon? More than two dozen runners from the Phoenix area will “race” virtually for charity.
Those racers will each run one mile, starting at 7 a.m., on a treadmill set up next to a Boston Marathon finish banner outside of Runner’s Den at 16th Street and Maryland Avenue in Phoenix.
Money raised from the virtual race will go to One Fund for Boston, the charity established last year after the bombing at the event. Donations can be made on-site, at the store’s website or buying raffle tickets.
Ron French with Runner’s Den said the race will be streamed on a TV set up in front of the treadmill so that the runners can “race” with field in Boston. They will virtually cover the course from the start in Hopkinton, Mass., through the Newton Hills to the finish in downtown Boston.
“This event filled up quickly,” French said. “Within 10 minutes of announcing it we had our 26 runners and I think we could have easily of done it three, four or five times.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food