PHOENIX — Who needs to travel to participate in Monday’s Boston Marathon? More than two dozen runners from the Phoenix area will “race” virtually for charity.
Those racers will each run one mile, starting at 7 a.m., on a treadmill set up next to a Boston Marathon finish banner outside of Runner’s Den at 16th Street and Maryland Avenue in Phoenix.
Money raised from the virtual race will go to One Fund for Boston, the charity established last year after the bombing at the event. Donations can be made on-site, at the store’s website or buying raffle tickets.
Ron French with Runner’s Den said the race will be streamed on a TV set up in front of the treadmill so that the runners can “race” with field in Boston. They will virtually cover the course from the start in Hopkinton, Mass., through the Newton Hills to the finish in downtown Boston.
“This event filled up quickly,” French said. “Within 10 minutes of announcing it we had our 26 runners and I think we could have easily of done it three, four or five times.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths