PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Public Safety is cracking down on distracted driving after a five-month study showed some alarming numbers.
The study took place between November 2013 and April 1, 2014, and according to DPS, 10 people were killed and another 380 were injured as a result of distracted driving during that time.
DPS officer and spokesman Carrick Cook said despite what people may think, distracted driving is more than just cell phone use.
“One of the things that we are trying to get rid of is the term ‘texting and driving,'” said Cook. “That’s not distracted driving, that’s an element of it.”
Cook said the study showed most distracted driving occurs from outside distractions, which are anything that takes the driver’s eyes off the road. One of the most common outside distractions can be from other accidents on the road.
“The person that’s driving by that’s looking at the crash and not the road in front of them,” Cook said. “That’s an outside distraction.”
DPS is working the campaign to increase enforcement and awareness of distracted driving, led by the slogan “Highways don’t kill, but distracted driving will.”
Cook added that drivers need to pay more attention and understand that their vehicle can be a weapon.
“We want people to be aware when they’re driving,” Cook said. “We want people to understand that when you’re driving a vehicle, you’re literally operating a deadly weapon.”
The study showed that out of 10,166 crashes during the five-month study, 1,163 of those were due to distracted driving totaling 11.44 percent.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas