PHOENIX — The state capitol is the latest stop on a 20-state bus tour designed to increase pressure on Congress to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour.
According to a press release from Americans United for Change and Progress Now Arizona, the 45-foot long billboard on wheels will provide a backdrop for state lawmakers and employees who support the increase.
According to the White House, more than 28 million workers would benefit from the proposal to increase the federal minimum wage, including more than 541,000 in Arizona.
The Living Wage Calculator compiled by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology show that the average full-time worker in Maricopa County needs to make $9.20 an hour to cover food, medical, housing and transportation costs. That comes out to $19,139.
Phoenix is the second stop on the “Give America a Raise” tour which wraps up in Norfolk, Va. on May 20. Critics say raising the minimum wage would cost jobs while supporters say it would lift families out of poverty and improve the economy.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development