PHOENIX — The state capitol is the latest stop on a 20-state bus tour designed to increase pressure on Congress to raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour.
According to a press release from Americans United for Change and Progress Now Arizona, the 45-foot long billboard on wheels will provide a backdrop for state lawmakers and employees who support the increase.
According to the White House, more than 28 million workers would benefit from the proposal to increase the federal minimum wage, including more than 541,000 in Arizona.
The Living Wage Calculator compiled by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology show that the average full-time worker in Maricopa County needs to make $9.20 an hour to cover food, medical, housing and transportation costs. That comes out to $19,139.
Phoenix is the second stop on the “Give America a Raise” tour which wraps up in Norfolk, Va. on May 20. Critics say raising the minimum wage would cost jobs while supporters say it would lift families out of poverty and improve the economy.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas