SIERRA VISTA, Ariz. — Fire officials say a lightning-caused blaze that has scorched 600 acres on a large ranch in southeastern Arizona has gotten closer to being fully contained.
Cochise County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Carol Capas said Sunday afternoon the O’Donnell Fire about 3 miles southeast of Elgin was at 65 percent containment.
Capas says crews will spend the day working along perimeter lines and doing mop-up operations.
No structures or residents are threatened.
Officials say the fire doubled in size Saturday thanks to a wind shifting during a burnout operation in O’Donnell Canyon.
Two type 2 crews, two engines and a water tender are working on the fire, which is burning in a lightning-prone area north of the Huachuca (wah-CHOO’kuh’) Mountains.
Crews battling the Brown Fire in that mountain range came to help.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier