SIERRA VISTA, Ariz. — Fire officials say a lightning-caused blaze that has scorched 600 acres on a large ranch in southeastern Arizona has gotten closer to being fully contained.
Cochise County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Carol Capas said Sunday afternoon the O’Donnell Fire about 3 miles southeast of Elgin was at 65 percent containment.
Capas says crews will spend the day working along perimeter lines and doing mop-up operations.
No structures or residents are threatened.
Officials say the fire doubled in size Saturday thanks to a wind shifting during a burnout operation in O’Donnell Canyon.
Two type 2 crews, two engines and a water tender are working on the fire, which is burning in a lightning-prone area north of the Huachuca (wah-CHOO’kuh’) Mountains.
Crews battling the Brown Fire in that mountain range came to help.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food