PHOENIX — The spirit of Michelangelo’s Pieta sculpture is being felt thousands of miles away from Vatican City and outside a Phoenix charity’s dining hall.
Officials at St. Vincent de Paul expect more people than usual to sit before a replica of one of the Italian artist’s most famous works Easter weekend.
Executive director Steve Zabilski says about 20 people gathered at one point on Good Friday in the 50-seat chapel.
The statue donated to St. Vincent de Paul in January 2013.
Husband and wife David Newren and Claudia Hecht have overseen the construction of a dozen replicas licensed by the Vatican.
The sculptures have typically been placed in churches or cathedrals.
Zabilski says people stop in daily to touch the statue and it helps with spiritual healing.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain