PHOENIX — The spirit of Michelangelo’s Pieta sculpture is being felt thousands of miles away from Vatican City and outside a Phoenix charity’s dining hall.
Officials at St. Vincent de Paul expect more people than usual to sit before a replica of one of the Italian artist’s most famous works Easter weekend.
Executive director Steve Zabilski says about 20 people gathered at one point on Good Friday in the 50-seat chapel.
The statue donated to St. Vincent de Paul in January 2013.
Husband and wife David Newren and Claudia Hecht have overseen the construction of a dozen replicas licensed by the Vatican.
The sculptures have typically been placed in churches or cathedrals.
Zabilski says people stop in daily to touch the statue and it helps with spiritual healing.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food