FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — A Flagstaff homeless shelter that closed its nighttime services for the season has gotten a last-minute reprieve.
The Arizona Daily Sun reports that an anonymous donation made this week is enough to keep Flagstaff Shelter Services fully operational through the end of July.
Lori Barlow, the shelter’s executive director, says the donor, a Flagstaff homeowner, asked how much it would take to keep the shelter open through Arizona’s wildfire season.
Barlow declined to say how much the donation was but she says staffing and running the shelter’s overnight services cost about $14,000 a month.
Closing at night each spring is a budget reality for the shelter.
City officials were also concerned by the closure, fearing some homeless would start campfires to stay warm despite fire restrictions.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.