FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — A Flagstaff homeless shelter that closed its nighttime services for the season has gotten a last-minute reprieve.
The Arizona Daily Sun reports that an anonymous donation made this week is enough to keep Flagstaff Shelter Services fully operational through the end of July.
Lori Barlow, the shelter’s executive director, says the donor, a Flagstaff homeowner, asked how much it would take to keep the shelter open through Arizona’s wildfire season.
Barlow declined to say how much the donation was but she says staffing and running the shelter’s overnight services cost about $14,000 a month.
Closing at night each spring is a budget reality for the shelter.
City officials were also concerned by the closure, fearing some homeless would start campfires to stay warm despite fire restrictions.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night