FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — A Flagstaff homeless shelter that closed its nighttime services for the season has gotten a last-minute reprieve.
The Arizona Daily Sun reports that an anonymous donation made this week is enough to keep Flagstaff Shelter Services fully operational through the end of July.
Lori Barlow, the shelter’s executive director, says the donor, a Flagstaff homeowner, asked how much it would take to keep the shelter open through Arizona’s wildfire season.
Barlow declined to say how much the donation was but she says staffing and running the shelter’s overnight services cost about $14,000 a month.
Closing at night each spring is a budget reality for the shelter.
City officials were also concerned by the closure, fearing some homeless would start campfires to stay warm despite fire restrictions.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food