PHOENIX — A group of activists made a push for the state of Arizona to recognize same-sex marriages from other states on Friday.
The group dropped off more than 1,000 signatures at Gov. Jan Brewer’s office, urging her to reconsider her position on the issue and to use to her influence to enact change.
“We’d ask the governor, who I think showed great leadership in her veto of Senate Bill 1062 … we’d like her respectfully to reconsider her position on this issue,” said Jeremy Zegas, project director with Why Marriage Matters Arizona.
The issue has come to a head after tax season became much more difficult for same-sex couples in Arizona.
For the first time, the federal government recognized the marriages of same-sex couples after a Supreme Court ruling last June to strike down a part of the Defense of Marriage Act. This allowed gay couples to file joint returns for 2013.
However, because Arizona does not recognize same-sex marriages from other states, couples would still have to file separate state returns, causing confusion for some, according to Zegas.
“It created a lot of confusion in many cases,” Zegas said. “Folks had to fill out up to five different returns in some cases, so they’ have to fill out their joint federal return, then what’s called a dummy single return for the federal filing, and then have to file their two separate returns for the state.”
Tonya Blakely married Melanie Puskar-Blakely in California in 2008 and said not being able to file joint returns has taken more than just an economic toll on her, Melanie and four children.
“The state of Arizona says ‘No, I’m nothing other than a friend to these children,'” Tonya said. “I’ve raised them since birth.”
Tonya said she wants Brewer to recognize same-sex marriages for more purposes than just taxes, though.
“I’m not recognized on birth certificates. I can’t take them to the doctors,” she said. “I have no legal rights at all to my children.”
The signatures have been delivered to the governor’s reception desk in the Executive Tower of the Arizona State Capitol.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier