PHOENIX — Two Arizona lawmakers have vowed to find the truth about the allegations of negligence and failure to care for the state’s veterans at the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake met with top leaders of the health facility and asked questions regarding whistleblowing accusations.
The two Republican senators held a news conference Friday across the street from the VA hospital.
The most shocking revelation suggests top leaders of the hospital covered up the deaths of as many as 40 veterans who died as a result of negligence or long wait times in trying to seek medical attention.
Some veterans say wait times now average 55 days.
“They denied allegations about a secret list. They said it did not exist. I have confidence in the inspector general, and Senate hearings will substantiate that response of theirs or (that) there’s more to it,” said McCain. “We have to use every instrument of government to get to the bottom of this.”
Both senators have requested House and Senate hearings. Currently, the Veterans Affairs Administration and the inspector general are conducting investigations of Arizona VA facilities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas