PHOENIX — Two Arizona lawmakers have vowed to find the truth about the allegations of negligence and failure to care for the state’s veterans at the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake met with top leaders of the health facility and asked questions regarding whistleblowing accusations.
The two Republican senators held a news conference Friday across the street from the VA hospital.
The most shocking revelation suggests top leaders of the hospital covered up the deaths of as many as 40 veterans who died as a result of negligence or long wait times in trying to seek medical attention.
Some veterans say wait times now average 55 days.
“They denied allegations about a secret list. They said it did not exist. I have confidence in the inspector general, and Senate hearings will substantiate that response of theirs or (that) there’s more to it,” said McCain. “We have to use every instrument of government to get to the bottom of this.”
Both senators have requested House and Senate hearings. Currently, the Veterans Affairs Administration and the inspector general are conducting investigations of Arizona VA facilities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life