PHOENIX — Two Arizona lawmakers have vowed to find the truth about the allegations of negligence and failure to care for the state’s veterans at the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake met with top leaders of the health facility and asked questions regarding whistleblowing accusations.
The two Republican senators held a news conference Friday across the street from the VA hospital.
The most shocking revelation suggests top leaders of the hospital covered up the deaths of as many as 40 veterans who died as a result of negligence or long wait times in trying to seek medical attention.
Some veterans say wait times now average 55 days.
“They denied allegations about a secret list. They said it did not exist. I have confidence in the inspector general, and Senate hearings will substantiate that response of theirs or (that) there’s more to it,” said McCain. “We have to use every instrument of government to get to the bottom of this.”
Both senators have requested House and Senate hearings. Currently, the Veterans Affairs Administration and the inspector general are conducting investigations of Arizona VA facilities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night