PHOENIX — Two Arizona lawmakers have vowed to find the truth about the allegations of negligence and failure to care for the state’s veterans at the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake met with top leaders of the health facility and asked questions regarding whistleblowing accusations.
The two Republican senators held a news conference Friday across the street from the VA hospital.
The most shocking revelation suggests top leaders of the hospital covered up the deaths of as many as 40 veterans who died as a result of negligence or long wait times in trying to seek medical attention.
Some veterans say wait times now average 55 days.
“They denied allegations about a secret list. They said it did not exist. I have confidence in the inspector general, and Senate hearings will substantiate that response of theirs or (that) there’s more to it,” said McCain. “We have to use every instrument of government to get to the bottom of this.”
Both senators have requested House and Senate hearings. Currently, the Veterans Affairs Administration and the inspector general are conducting investigations of Arizona VA facilities.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them