PHOENIX — Just days after enacting policies to combat wildfires, the Tonto National Forest announced Friday that campfires were prohibited until further notice.
Earlier this week, the forest joined several others in restricting campfires to developed campgrounds only. However, as temperatures begin to increase and the fire danger rises, forest officials decided to ban fires all together.
“We are going into restrictions about a month earlier than normal due to the extremely dry winter and spring we’ve had this year,” said Tonto National Forest Fire Management Officer Helen Graham in a release. “Fuel moisture and humidity levels have been decreasing steadily across the forest and the fire danger is high. These precautionary measures are intended to protect forest resources and enhance our visitors’ quality recreation experiences.”
Anyone caught with a campfire faces fines up to $5,000 and six months in jail.
Smoking is allowed, but
limited to within enclosed vehicles, in buildings and in areas cleared of all
Petroleum-fueled stoves and lanterns are permitted in some developed campgrounds.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon