PHOENIX — Every year during the second full week of April, the nation honors hundreds of thousands of unsung heroes during Public Safety Telecommunicators Week.
“I think of dispatchers as the first responders,” said 911 operator Shirley Dunlap. “We take the phone call, we get that truck on the road and we make a difference right from the get-go.”
Dunlap is one of roughly 100 dispatchers currently employed by the Phoenix Fire Department. These men and women dispatch for over 20 cities around the Valley and answer thousands of calls every day.
The job is rewarding, but emotionally and psychologically taxing for some. These operators deal with life, death and every type of tragedy that happens in between.
“You hang up and you know the person didn’t make it,” said Dunlap. “You think, ‘I was the last person they talked to.’ I will never forget those calls.”
According to APCO International, Telecommunicators Week was conceived in the early 1980s by Patricia Anderson of the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office in California. The idea caught on and APCO led the way for a formal proclamation in October 1991.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food