PHOENIX — In honor of National Park Week and Earth Day, Grand Canyon park is waiving entrance fees this weekend.
Park Week begins Saturday and Earth Day follows on Tuesday. Grand Canyon National Park will host a free screening of the award-winning, environmental film “Watershed” which was produced and narrated by Oscar winner Robert Redford. “Watershed” tells the story of the threats to the once-mighty Colorado River; the film will be shown at 7:30 p.m. at Shrine of the Ages.
Sunday the park will host an open-house style celebration from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Visitor Center Plaza. Park rangers, Green Team member and various organizations and businesses from northern Arizona will be involved in a “green” celebration of the activities available at the park.
All of the weekend’s activities are family friendly and free of charge.
Maureen Oltrogee with the National Park Service said visitors are reminded that fee-free designation applies to entrance fees only and that “Visitors who plan to spend time in the park beyond Sunday will need to pay the regular entrance fee for the remainder of their stay.”
Additional fee-free days this year will be on the National Park Service birthday (Aug. 25), National Public Lands Day (Sept. 27) and Veterans Day (Nov. 11).
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier