PHOENIX — In honor of National Park Week and Earth Day, Grand Canyon park is waiving entrance fees this weekend.
Park Week begins Saturday and Earth Day follows on Tuesday. Grand Canyon National Park will host a free screening of the award-winning, environmental film “Watershed” which was produced and narrated by Oscar winner Robert Redford. “Watershed” tells the story of the threats to the once-mighty Colorado River; the film will be shown at 7:30 p.m. at Shrine of the Ages.
Sunday the park will host an open-house style celebration from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Visitor Center Plaza. Park rangers, Green Team member and various organizations and businesses from northern Arizona will be involved in a “green” celebration of the activities available at the park.
All of the weekend’s activities are family friendly and free of charge.
Maureen Oltrogee with the National Park Service said visitors are reminded that fee-free designation applies to entrance fees only and that “Visitors who plan to spend time in the park beyond Sunday will need to pay the regular entrance fee for the remainder of their stay.”
Additional fee-free days this year will be on the National Park Service birthday (Aug. 25), National Public Lands Day (Sept. 27) and Veterans Day (Nov. 11).
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon