PHOENIX — In honor of National Park Week and Earth Day, Grand Canyon park is waiving entrance fees this weekend.
Park Week begins Saturday and Earth Day follows on Tuesday. Grand Canyon National Park will host a free screening of the award-winning, environmental film “Watershed” which was produced and narrated by Oscar winner Robert Redford. “Watershed” tells the story of the threats to the once-mighty Colorado River; the film will be shown at 7:30 p.m. at Shrine of the Ages.
Sunday the park will host an open-house style celebration from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Visitor Center Plaza. Park rangers, Green Team member and various organizations and businesses from northern Arizona will be involved in a “green” celebration of the activities available at the park.
All of the weekend’s activities are family friendly and free of charge.
Maureen Oltrogee with the National Park Service said visitors are reminded that fee-free designation applies to entrance fees only and that “Visitors who plan to spend time in the park beyond Sunday will need to pay the regular entrance fee for the remainder of their stay.”
Additional fee-free days this year will be on the National Park Service birthday (Aug. 25), National Public Lands Day (Sept. 27) and Veterans Day (Nov. 11).
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain