PHOENIX — Phoenix police have arrested a woman who has been buying stolen beer and making a profit by selling it to others.
Irene Gonzalez, 58, was arrested Thursday and booked on four counts of trafficking in stolen property and one count of liquor sales without a license.
A Feb. 25 arrest helped trace a beer-running ring to Gonzalez. On that day, Phoenix police arrested a suspect for shoplifting two 18-packs of beer from a Circle K convenience store. The suspect admitted to stealing the beer with the intent to sell to a person known as “Mama,” who lives in an apartment complex on 2760 E. Wier Ave., Officer James Holmes said.
The suspect said there were several others who were taking stolen beer to “Mama.”
Once detectives were able to trace the stolen beer to Gonzalez, Phoenix police began sending undercover detectives to her residence. Between Feb. 27 and March 28, undercover detectives sold a total of eight 30-packs of beer to Gonzalez for an average of $15 a case, Holmes said. He added that Circle K provided the cases to detectives for the investigation.
Police obtained a search warrant and went to Gonzalez’s apartment on Thursday, finding 26 cases and several individual beers inside the home. They also confiscated $5,600 in cash.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development