PHOENIX — Phoenix police have arrested a woman who has been buying stolen beer and making a profit by selling it to others.
Irene Gonzalez, 58, was arrested Thursday and booked on four counts of trafficking in stolen property and one count of liquor sales without a license.
A Feb. 25 arrest helped trace a beer-running ring to Gonzalez. On that day, Phoenix police arrested a suspect for shoplifting two 18-packs of beer from a Circle K convenience store. The suspect admitted to stealing the beer with the intent to sell to a person known as “Mama,” who lives in an apartment complex on 2760 E. Wier Ave., Officer James Holmes said.
The suspect said there were several others who were taking stolen beer to “Mama.”
Once detectives were able to trace the stolen beer to Gonzalez, Phoenix police began sending undercover detectives to her residence. Between Feb. 27 and March 28, undercover detectives sold a total of eight 30-packs of beer to Gonzalez for an average of $15 a case, Holmes said. He added that Circle K provided the cases to detectives for the investigation.
Police obtained a search warrant and went to Gonzalez’s apartment on Thursday, finding 26 cases and several individual beers inside the home. They also confiscated $5,600 in cash.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food