PHOENIX — It’s been a bittersweet 2014 for Samantha Anderson.
The Chandler, Ariz., resident was crowned Miss Teen Arizona last weekend, but she lost both of her parents two months ago in a plane crash in Colorado, the East Valley Tribune reports.
Flying was a big hobby in her family. Both of her parents were licensed, accomplished pilots.
“My dad was my flight instructor and about seven months ago I got the first level of the pilot’s license with my dad,” Anderson told Elizabeth Erwin of ABC 15.
Not having her dad and mom by her side for her big win was tough.
“Because my mom and dad were behind me, every single pageant,” Samantha said.
But Samantha knows they were there in spirit, and that they would be so proud of what she’s doing with her platform.
Anderson said she has been entering pageants for about three years, and that her mother was named Miss Congeniality at the age of 18.
“I’m still in shock and obviously denial, and that’s kind of what’s getting me through, because I haven’t really realized the full extent of what’s happened,” she said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns