PHOENIX — It’s been a bittersweet 2014 for Samantha Anderson.
The Chandler, Ariz., resident was crowned Miss Teen Arizona last weekend, but she lost both of her parents two months ago in a plane crash in Colorado, the East Valley Tribune reports.
Flying was a big hobby in her family. Both of her parents were licensed, accomplished pilots.
“My dad was my flight instructor and about seven months ago I got the first level of the pilot’s license with my dad,” Anderson told Elizabeth Erwin of ABC 15.
Not having her dad and mom by her side for her big win was tough.
“Because my mom and dad were behind me, every single pageant,” Samantha said.
But Samantha knows they were there in spirit, and that they would be so proud of what she’s doing with her platform.
Anderson said she has been entering pageants for about three years, and that her mother was named Miss Congeniality at the age of 18.
“I’m still in shock and obviously denial, and that’s kind of what’s getting me through, because I haven’t really realized the full extent of what’s happened,” she said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon