In a new study by CNN Money using U.S. Census Bureau data, Phoenix had the second-highest total in the country of new residents over a one-year period.
CNN Money listed the top 10 fastest-growing metro areas in the country, looking at data from July 2012 to July 2013. Although Phoenix had the lowest percentage gain (1.6) on the top 10 list, Arizona’s capital did expand by 71,130 new residents in that time, trailing only Houston (137,782) in that metric.
The business arm of CNN cited a few reasons why Phoenix might be growing:
Phoenix is starting to rise from the ashes of the housing bust.
After being one of the hardest hit cities during the foreclosure crisis, home prices have come roaring back. Construction workers idled during the housing bust are back at work rehabbing foreclosed homes and other distressed properties so they can be put back on the market or rented out.
Other jobs are coming back, too, in industries like renewable energy, aerospace, bio-med and business services, according to the Greater Phoenix Economic Council. And recently Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) announced it would build a plant in nearby Mesa that would employ more than 2,000 workers.
Austin, Texas, had the highest percent gain (2.6) of any city on the list, translating to 47,941 new residents for Texas’ capital.
Click here to see the other top 10 cities in a slideshow format.
Click here to see the fastest-growing cities listed in descending order — according to percent gain.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.