In a new study by CNN Money using U.S. Census Bureau data, Phoenix had the second-highest total in the country of new residents over a one-year period.
CNN Money listed the top 10 fastest-growing metro areas in the country, looking at data from July 2012 to July 2013. Although Phoenix had the lowest percentage gain (1.6) on the top 10 list, Arizona’s capital did expand by 71,130 new residents in that time, trailing only Houston (137,782) in that metric.
The business arm of CNN cited a few reasons why Phoenix might be growing:
Phoenix is starting to rise from the ashes of the housing bust.
After being one of the hardest hit cities during the foreclosure crisis, home prices have come roaring back. Construction workers idled during the housing bust are back at work rehabbing foreclosed homes and other distressed properties so they can be put back on the market or rented out.
Other jobs are coming back, too, in industries like renewable energy, aerospace, bio-med and business services, according to the Greater Phoenix Economic Council. And recently Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) announced it would build a plant in nearby Mesa that would employ more than 2,000 workers.
Austin, Texas, had the highest percent gain (2.6) of any city on the list, translating to 47,941 new residents for Texas’ capital.
Click here to see the other top 10 cities in a slideshow format.
Click here to see the fastest-growing cities listed in descending order — according to percent gain.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon