In a new study by CNN Money using U.S. Census Bureau data, Phoenix had the second-highest total in the country of new residents over a one-year period.
CNN Money listed the top 10 fastest-growing metro areas in the country, looking at data from July 2012 to July 2013. Although Phoenix had the lowest percentage gain (1.6) on the top 10 list, Arizona’s capital did expand by 71,130 new residents in that time, trailing only Houston (137,782) in that metric.
The business arm of CNN cited a few reasons why Phoenix might be growing:
Phoenix is starting to rise from the ashes of the housing bust.
After being one of the hardest hit cities during the foreclosure crisis, home prices have come roaring back. Construction workers idled during the housing bust are back at work rehabbing foreclosed homes and other distressed properties so they can be put back on the market or rented out.
Other jobs are coming back, too, in industries like renewable energy, aerospace, bio-med and business services, according to the Greater Phoenix Economic Council. And recently Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) announced it would build a plant in nearby Mesa that would employ more than 2,000 workers.
Austin, Texas, had the highest percent gain (2.6) of any city on the list, translating to 47,941 new residents for Texas’ capital.
Click here to see the other top 10 cities in a slideshow format.
Click here to see the fastest-growing cities listed in descending order — according to percent gain.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night