PHOENIX — This Sunday is Easter, and hundreds of people will be getting up early to attend an early service at a place you wouldn’t normally think of as a church.
They’ll be going to the Turf Paradise horse racetrack in Phoenix.
In 1962, the pastor of Lutheran Church of the Master realized that his building wasn’t big enough to handle the hundreds of people who were coming to worship that day.
“He contacted the Turf Paradise racetrack at 19th Avenue and Bell (Road), and inquired as to whether we could use their grandstand for the Easter Sunrise Service,” said John Draftz, a deacon at the church.
The racetrack said yes, and thus initiated something that’s been an annual tradition ever since.
“Sunday marks the 52nd ‘running’ of the Easter Sunrise Service sponsored by Lutheran Church of the Master,” Draftz said.
The service attracts people who wouldn’t normally set foot in a church, he said.
“We have people who are not members of our congregation,” said Draftz. “But, for them, Easter Sunday at 6 in the morning, they will be at Turf Paradise, because that is the way they celebrate Easter Sunrise Service.”
Draftz admits that he sometimes thinks about the implications of having the service at a place where gambling and drinking usually happens. But the church sees it as an outreach ministry, he said.
“We look beyond the setting, and look at what we are trying to do,” Draftz said. “We look at it as taking advantage of a beautiful situation to let the gospel message go out to as many people as are wanting to hear it.”
Click here for more information about the Easter morning service at Turf Paradise.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development