PHOENIX — This Sunday is Easter, and hundreds of people will be getting up early to attend an early service at a place you wouldn’t normally think of as a church.
They’ll be going to the Turf Paradise horse racetrack in Phoenix.
In 1962, the pastor of Lutheran Church of the Master realized that his building wasn’t big enough to handle the hundreds of people who were coming to worship that day.
“He contacted the Turf Paradise racetrack at 19th Avenue and Bell (Road), and inquired as to whether we could use their grandstand for the Easter Sunrise Service,” said John Draftz, a deacon at the church.
The racetrack said yes, and thus initiated something that’s been an annual tradition ever since.
“Sunday marks the 52nd ‘running’ of the Easter Sunrise Service sponsored by Lutheran Church of the Master,” Draftz said.
The service attracts people who wouldn’t normally set foot in a church, he said.
“We have people who are not members of our congregation,” said Draftz. “But, for them, Easter Sunday at 6 in the morning, they will be at Turf Paradise, because that is the way they celebrate Easter Sunrise Service.”
Draftz admits that he sometimes thinks about the implications of having the service at a place where gambling and drinking usually happens. But the church sees it as an outreach ministry, he said.
“We look beyond the setting, and look at what we are trying to do,” Draftz said. “We look at it as taking advantage of a beautiful situation to let the gospel message go out to as many people as are wanting to hear it.”
Click here for more information about the Easter morning service at Turf Paradise.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night