PHOENIX — A tearful but joyous reunion took place at the Phoenix Fire Department Alarm Room Headquarters Thursday.
The Ain family stopped to thank operator Danica Dunn for her calm head, soothing voice and knowledgeable instruction. Her heroics resulted in the successful resuscitation of 23-month-old Charlie, who nearly drowned in a pool.
“It’s miraculous,” said Dunn.
The young mother has been with the department for eight years and the little boy’s near-drowning hit close to home because she has a child the same age.
“I can’t stress enough, don’t leave your child unsupervised around water,” she said.
On April 8, Charlie managed to get past the pool gate and ended up in the family’s backyard pool. His parents found him blue and unresponsive in the water.
“We all thought he was dead,” said Matthew Ain. “We had to be here to thank Danica, she’s an angel. She saved my son’s life.”
The Ains are adding an extra barrier around their pool and inviting an instructor to teach their entire neighborhood CPR. They want every parent to know a near-drowning can happen to any family at any time.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night