PHOENIX — A tearful but joyous reunion took place at the Phoenix Fire Department Alarm Room Headquarters Thursday.
The Ain family stopped to thank operator Danica Dunn for her calm head, soothing voice and knowledgeable instruction. Her heroics resulted in the successful resuscitation of 23-month-old Charlie, who nearly drowned in a pool.
“It’s miraculous,” said Dunn.
The young mother has been with the department for eight years and the little boy’s near-drowning hit close to home because she has a child the same age.
“I can’t stress enough, don’t leave your child unsupervised around water,” she said.
On April 8, Charlie managed to get past the pool gate and ended up in the family’s backyard pool. His parents found him blue and unresponsive in the water.
“We all thought he was dead,” said Matthew Ain. “We had to be here to thank Danica, she’s an angel. She saved my son’s life.”
The Ains are adding an extra barrier around their pool and inviting an instructor to teach their entire neighborhood CPR. They want every parent to know a near-drowning can happen to any family at any time.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon