PHOENIX — A tearful but joyous reunion took place at the Phoenix Fire Department Alarm Room Headquarters Thursday.
The Ain family stopped to thank operator Danica Dunn for her calm head, soothing voice and knowledgeable instruction. Her heroics resulted in the successful resuscitation of 23-month-old Charlie, who nearly drowned in a pool.
“It’s miraculous,” said Dunn.
The young mother has been with the department for eight years and the little boy’s near-drowning hit close to home because she has a child the same age.
“I can’t stress enough, don’t leave your child unsupervised around water,” she said.
On April 8, Charlie managed to get past the pool gate and ended up in the family’s backyard pool. His parents found him blue and unresponsive in the water.
“We all thought he was dead,” said Matthew Ain. “We had to be here to thank Danica, she’s an angel. She saved my son’s life.”
The Ains are adding an extra barrier around their pool and inviting an instructor to teach their entire neighborhood CPR. They want every parent to know a near-drowning can happen to any family at any time.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths