PHOENIX — Glendale Police are refuting a claim by a real estate site that ranked it among the most dangerous suburbs in America.
They say Federal Bureau of Investigation statistics show that crime is down in the city.
“Our data for calendar year 2013 showed significant decreases in both property and violent crimes in Glendale,” said Glendale Police Sgt. Jay O’Neil. “In violent crimes, we showed an overall 19 percent decline in the data that the FBI collects, with dramatic decreases shown in robbery, which was down 19 percent, and aggravated assault, which was down 20 percent.”
O’Neill said there were also fewer property crimes.
“We showed a 9 percent decline in property crimes,” he said. “There were larger decreases shown in burglary, which is down 14 percent, and our auto theft rate is down 15 percent.”
He credited the decreases on police strategies and better community involvement.
Tempe was also ranked as a dangerous suburb. City officials placed the blame on the massive influx of both workers and students the city sees on a daily basis.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food