PHOENIX — Glendale Police are refuting a claim by a real estate site that ranked it among the most dangerous suburbs in America.
They say Federal Bureau of Investigation statistics show that crime is down in the city.
“Our data for calendar year 2013 showed significant decreases in both property and violent crimes in Glendale,” said Glendale Police Sgt. Jay O’Neil. “In violent crimes, we showed an overall 19 percent decline in the data that the FBI collects, with dramatic decreases shown in robbery, which was down 19 percent, and aggravated assault, which was down 20 percent.”
O’Neill said there were also fewer property crimes.
“We showed a 9 percent decline in property crimes,” he said. “There were larger decreases shown in burglary, which is down 14 percent, and our auto theft rate is down 15 percent.”
He credited the decreases on police strategies and better community involvement.
Tempe was also ranked as a dangerous suburb. City officials placed the blame on the massive influx of both workers and students the city sees on a daily basis.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.