SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A Colt .45-caliber revolver believed to have been carried by Wyatt Earp during the shootout at the O.K. Corral sold at an auction Thursday night.
The gun, possibly used in the Tombstone gunfight on Oct. 26, 1881, was on the block at J. Levine Auction & Appraisal in Scottsdale.
Auctioneer Josh Levine said the Colt .45 and three other guns and 32 boxes of research documents, photos and memorabilia up for bid came from the estate of author Glenn Boyer, who died in Tucson last year.
Boyer spent years researching and writing about Western history. He is best known for “I Married Wyatt Earp: The Recollections of Josephine Sarah Marcus,” a fictionalized account (filled with facts) of Earp’s life told through the perspective of his wife, Josephine.
“This is by far the most interest I’ve ever seen in a weapon of this kind,” Levine said. “I have bids in from 49 countries. The amount of traffic we’ve received crashed our website twice.”
This auction item, however, comes with controversy, Levine said.
“The gun is controversial because its serial number was scratched off years ago. But testing through dental X-rays revealed that the original serial number matched records proving again the Earp serial number present.”
The highest bidder for the Colt .45 will receive a sworn affidavit signed by Boyer, stating the gun belonged to Earp as well as the expert findings. The gun’s barrel, cylinder and grips have been replaced, the frame of the gun, which is most important when determining value, remains intact.
Thursday night, several sources said that the firearm sold for $225,000.
— Allyson Blair (@AllysonCBS5) April 18, 2014
Other items in the auction included Wyatt Earp’s Winchester shotgun with an estimated value between $75,000 and $125,000 and Virgil Earp’s Colt revolver, estimated in value between $20,000 and $30,000.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon