TEMPE, Ariz. — California is experiencing one of its worst droughts, and the Valley could see some of the effects in local grocery stores.
As of now, avocado, broccoli, grape and lettuce prices are expected to significantly increase if the drought gets worse. This comes from a new study conducted by Professor Timothy Richards of the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. He studied which crops would be most affected by the drought and what the price increases would be.
For avocados, a price for one could jump up to $1.60; grapes could get close to $3 per pound; and lettuce could be just shy of $2.50 a head. Richard said these prices will directly hit the Valley, because most of these crops come primarily from California.
“We’re looking at national price impacts and we’re talking short-term, two to three months out, until retailers can find alternative sources of supply,” he said.
Despite the drought’s negative impact on Arizona, Richard offered alternatives to avoid these price hits.
“Substitute out and purchase a non-California commodity,” he explained. “For example, in fruits, instead of buying grapes, buy apples. They come from Washington.”
Richard also mentioned that if these prices hit Arizona, retailers would look elsewhere for produce, such as Chile and Mexico. Unfortunately, he added, customer demands for domestic fruit and vegetables would be a new issue to worry about.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain