TEMPE, Ariz. — California is experiencing one of its worst droughts, and the Valley could see some of the effects in local grocery stores.
As of now, avocado, broccoli, grape and lettuce prices are expected to significantly increase if the drought gets worse. This comes from a new study conducted by Professor Timothy Richards of the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University. He studied which crops would be most affected by the drought and what the price increases would be.
For avocados, a price for one could jump up to $1.60; grapes could get close to $3 per pound; and lettuce could be just shy of $2.50 a head. Richard said these prices will directly hit the Valley, because most of these crops come primarily from California.
“We’re looking at national price impacts and we’re talking short-term, two to three months out, until retailers can find alternative sources of supply,” he said.
Despite the drought’s negative impact on Arizona, Richard offered alternatives to avoid these price hits.
“Substitute out and purchase a non-California commodity,” he explained. “For example, in fruits, instead of buying grapes, buy apples. They come from Washington.”
Richard also mentioned that if these prices hit Arizona, retailers would look elsewhere for produce, such as Chile and Mexico. Unfortunately, he added, customer demands for domestic fruit and vegetables would be a new issue to worry about.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food