PHOENIX — Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery is saying no to supporters of Shanesha Taylor, a Valley woman arrested after leaving her two children in a car while she interviewed for a job.
She claimed she was unemployed and homeless and had nowhere for the kids to go while she was at the interview. Taylor’s attorneys and supporters filed what they claim were 12,000 signatures of people asking Montgomery to drop the charges because of her circumstances.
But Montgomery said there was something wrong with the signatures.
“First, they weren’t signatures,” he said. “They were just a list of names from the change.org website. I don’t know whether any of the individuals in their pajamas who logged on to the website and put their name in there, really had a clue of all of the circumstances involved in this particular case.”
Montgomery said Taylor’s claims she was homeless and unemployed don’t appear to be true.
“We’ve learned since that she actually had part-time employment, so she wasn’t unemployed,” he said. “She actually had a residence listed, so she wasn’t homeless. Nonetheless, those children were still in jeopardy under the circumstances.”
Meanwhile, Montgomery said he is going ahead with the prosecution of another mom who is also accused of leaving her child in a hot car.
Maria Theresa Pio was arrested in Tempe on Saturday after crews found her 14-month-old baby in a car in a store parking lot.
“The temperature inside of the vehicle measured 124 degrees, while the car seat measured 113 degrees,” said Montgomery. “Both of which place a child, at 14 months, in jeopardy.”
Montgomery said video from the store’s security camera indicates that Pio was in the store for about 40 minutes.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier