PHOENIX — Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery is saying no to supporters of Shanesha Taylor, a Valley woman arrested after leaving her two children in a car while she interviewed for a job.
She claimed she was unemployed and homeless and had nowhere for the kids to go while she was at the interview. Taylor’s attorneys and supporters filed what they claim were 12,000 signatures of people asking Montgomery to drop the charges because of her circumstances.
But Montgomery said there was something wrong with the signatures.
“First, they weren’t signatures,” he said. “They were just a list of names from the change.org website. I don’t know whether any of the individuals in their pajamas who logged on to the website and put their name in there, really had a clue of all of the circumstances involved in this particular case.”
Montgomery said Taylor’s claims she was homeless and unemployed don’t appear to be true.
“We’ve learned since that she actually had part-time employment, so she wasn’t unemployed,” he said. “She actually had a residence listed, so she wasn’t homeless. Nonetheless, those children were still in jeopardy under the circumstances.”
Meanwhile, Montgomery said he is going ahead with the prosecution of another mom who is also accused of leaving her child in a hot car.
Maria Theresa Pio was arrested in Tempe on Saturday after crews found her 14-month-old baby in a car in a store parking lot.
“The temperature inside of the vehicle measured 124 degrees, while the car seat measured 113 degrees,” said Montgomery. “Both of which place a child, at 14 months, in jeopardy.”
Montgomery said video from the store’s security camera indicates that Pio was in the store for about 40 minutes.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy