PHOENIX — A veteran who lives in the Valley said it took nearly two years for her to see her primary care doctor at the Phoenix Veterans Administration hospital.
Navy veteran Anna Rosas first moved to Phoenix in 2012 from Albuquerque, N.M., where she also received treatment at a VA hospital.
“When I arrived here in Phoenix, within a week I got my veterans card,” she said. “They told me, ‘Wait for the call.’ I waited six months. No call.”
However, Rosas said she did receive a postcard for an appointment in the fall. The VA subsequently canceled that appointment via another postcard. She has contacted the VA by phone, but said she has not gotten a return call in two years.
In March, Rosas ran out of her daily medication and was able to see a doctor after a 30-day wait.
“He gave me a year’s supply, which they’re not supposed to do,” she said, adding that she finally saw her primary care doctor for the first time in April 2014.
Rosas said the VA in New Mexico was nothing like Phoenix. She said the facility was upgraded and orderly, where as the Valley is “chaotic.”
“Here (in Phoenix), they don’t even care,” she said.
While Rosas knows she has no choice but to put up with Arizona’s system while she lives here, she’s aware that problems at the VA could end up costing her.
“I’m afraid of running out of my medicine and they’re not capable of refilling my subscription, so I’m going to have to go out and pay whatever cost I can,” she said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.