PHOENIX — A veteran who lives in the Valley said it took nearly two years for her to see her primary care doctor at the Phoenix Veterans Administration hospital.
Navy veteran Anna Rosas first moved to Phoenix in 2012 from Albuquerque, N.M., where she also received treatment at a VA hospital.
“When I arrived here in Phoenix, within a week I got my veterans card,” she said. “They told me, ‘Wait for the call.’ I waited six months. No call.”
However, Rosas said she did receive a postcard for an appointment in the fall. The VA subsequently canceled that appointment via another postcard. She has contacted the VA by phone, but said she has not gotten a return call in two years.
In March, Rosas ran out of her daily medication and was able to see a doctor after a 30-day wait.
“He gave me a year’s supply, which they’re not supposed to do,” she said, adding that she finally saw her primary care doctor for the first time in April 2014.
Rosas said the VA in New Mexico was nothing like Phoenix. She said the facility was upgraded and orderly, where as the Valley is “chaotic.”
“Here (in Phoenix), they don’t even care,” she said.
While Rosas knows she has no choice but to put up with Arizona’s system while she lives here, she’s aware that problems at the VA could end up costing her.
“I’m afraid of running out of my medicine and they’re not capable of refilling my subscription, so I’m going to have to go out and pay whatever cost I can,” she said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them