PHOENIX — Arizona restaurant owners are facing shrinking profit margins due to the steadily increasing cost of beef and the shortage of limes in Mexico.
“It’s incredibly difficult,” said Steve Chucri, president and CEO of the Arizona Restaurant Association. “This is our peak season right now. It’s almost an aligning of the planets and it’s wreaking havoc when it comes to the commodities that restaurants depend on.”
Currently, Arizona restaurant owners are not increasing menu prices, which is a tough decision to make.
“If your competitors aren’t raising prices, it’s tough to raise yours,” said Chucri. “They just have to swallow hard and just accept the fact that you will, for a few months, have less of a profit.”
Beef prices have hit high not recorded since the late 1980s. Currently, USDA fresh beef is priced at nearly $5.50 per pound.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon