PHOENIX — Women who gain either too much or too little weight during pregnancy may have a link to the weight of their baby, according to a new study.
“Childhood obesity is on the rise, at the same time that obesity in the country has been on the rise too,” said Dr. Candice Wood, OBGYN at Banner Good Samaritan Hospital. “I guess it’s not too surprising that we may see a link in the some of the decisions we make as mothers.”
The weight gain, or lack thereof during pregnancy, affects the mother’s metabolism and that can have effects on the baby’s future metabolism, said Wood who is also an assistant clinical professor at the University of Arizona Medical School.
“I never want a woman who’s pregnant to go some diet where she’s only eating broccoli because she’s worried about her weight gain,” she said. “But we can usually find areas where maybe their eating a little bit too much or they’re indulging a little bit extra in desserts.”
It’s important to consult your doctor during pregnancy about how much weight gain is appropriate. Wood said she talks to her patients about weight at every visit, but just to talk, not to cause undue stress.
“I always stress with my patients that the amount of calories that they need for their pregnancy, extra for the baby a day, is about a half a sandwich,” she said. “We actually need more calories to breast feed than we do to have a baby be created appropriately in utero.”
The study was published April 14 in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.