PHOENIX — One of Arizona’s most scenic roadways in the state highway system will get a bit of makeover starting next week.
The Arizona Department of Transportation will begin a $2 million paving project on a portion of State Route 89A through Oak Creek Canyon.
Drivers on State Route 89A will face single-lane restrictions during daytime hours Monday through Thursday along portions of a 3½-mile stretch through the area known as the switchbacks.
The highway will be open for the Memorial Day Weekend, but close right after for five weeks. ADOT spokesman Dustin Krugel said that while some residents and businesses will be inconvenienced during construction, if this project was done under any other traffic control condition, it would extend the project by several months.
The project will repave the road between Pine Flat Campground and Oak Creek Vista overlook (mileposts 387-390) in the Coconino National Forest. The area is midway between Sedona and Flagstaff, just north of the popular tourist destinations in Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.
“This time frame was chosen because it’s the most favorable time to apply the new pavement, which is temperature sensitive, and it’s before monsoon season, when rain can delay paving.”
The project will also have crews removing rocks.
“We’re going to have workers rappelling down the mountainside and removing loose rock. So for their safety and the safety of drivers we will need this 5 week closure.”
Krugel said during the full closure the recommended detour from Sedona to Flagstaff will be Interstate 17. The detour could add up to an extra half-hour of travel time.
Emergency responders will be allowed in at all times.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon