PHOENIX — One of Arizona’s most scenic roadways in the state highway system will get a bit of makeover starting next week.
The Arizona Department of Transportation will begin a $2 million paving project on a portion of State Route 89A through Oak Creek Canyon.
Drivers on State Route 89A will face single-lane restrictions during daytime hours Monday through Thursday along portions of a 3½-mile stretch through the area known as the switchbacks.
The highway will be open for the Memorial Day Weekend, but close right after for five weeks. ADOT spokesman Dustin Krugel said that while some residents and businesses will be inconvenienced during construction, if this project was done under any other traffic control condition, it would extend the project by several months.
The project will repave the road between Pine Flat Campground and Oak Creek Vista overlook (mileposts 387-390) in the Coconino National Forest. The area is midway between Sedona and Flagstaff, just north of the popular tourist destinations in Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon.
“This time frame was chosen because it’s the most favorable time to apply the new pavement, which is temperature sensitive, and it’s before monsoon season, when rain can delay paving.”
The project will also have crews removing rocks.
“We’re going to have workers rappelling down the mountainside and removing loose rock. So for their safety and the safety of drivers we will need this 5 week closure.”
Krugel said during the full closure the recommended detour from Sedona to Flagstaff will be Interstate 17. The detour could add up to an extra half-hour of travel time.
Emergency responders will be allowed in at all times.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.