TEMPE, Ariz. — Two women were hospitalized in serious condition after one of them drove the wrong way on an East Valley freeway and caused an overnight accident.
Both drivers were expected to survive. Westbound Interstate 10 between Ray and Warner roads was fully reopened early Wednesday morning, but the road been down to one lane for six hours, creating a mileslong backup.
Officer Richard Bottoms said the wrong-way driver, 34, was trying to get onto westbound lanes at the Warner on-ramp, went down a dirt embankment and started traveling east in the westbound lanes for a short distance. She then hit the other car, driven by a 24-year-old.
One of the cars was also clipped by an 18-wheeler but that driver wasn’t hurt.
Authorities aren’t sure how fast either car was traveling.
Investigators are trying to determine if wrong-way driver was impaired.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick