TEMPE, Ariz. — Two women were hospitalized in serious condition after one of them drove the wrong way on an East Valley freeway and caused an overnight accident.
Both drivers were expected to survive. Westbound Interstate 10 between Ray and Warner roads was fully reopened early Wednesday morning, but the road been down to one lane for six hours, creating a mileslong backup.
Officer Richard Bottoms said the wrong-way driver, 34, was trying to get onto westbound lanes at the Warner on-ramp, went down a dirt embankment and started traveling east in the westbound lanes for a short distance. She then hit the other car, driven by a 24-year-old.
One of the cars was also clipped by an 18-wheeler but that driver wasn’t hurt.
Authorities aren’t sure how fast either car was traveling.
Investigators are trying to determine if wrong-way driver was impaired.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier