TEMPE, Ariz. — Two women were hospitalized in serious condition after one of them drove the wrong way on an East Valley freeway and caused an overnight accident.
Both drivers were expected to survive. Westbound Interstate 10 between Ray and Warner roads was fully reopened early Wednesday morning, but the road been down to one lane for six hours, creating a mileslong backup.
Officer Richard Bottoms said the wrong-way driver, 34, was trying to get onto westbound lanes at the Warner on-ramp, went down a dirt embankment and started traveling east in the westbound lanes for a short distance. She then hit the other car, driven by a 24-year-old.
One of the cars was also clipped by an 18-wheeler but that driver wasn’t hurt.
Authorities aren’t sure how fast either car was traveling.
Investigators are trying to determine if wrong-way driver was impaired.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development