SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Keeping up with the Joneses could pay off in the long run.
Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner said that if you see the neighbors next door doing some remodeling on their house, it might be a good idea to do the same thing.
He also said if you go to sell your house, you may be glad that you invested in the upgrades.
“Banks, appraisers and realtors are going to look at similar homes for comparable sales,” Wegner said. “If you have a remodeled kitchen, they’re going to compare your home to those that have a remodeled kitchen. The same goes for remodeled bathrooms and closets. They’ll be looking at the same type of houses.”
Wegner said that not keeping up with improvements that your neighbor makes could cost you dearly when you try to sell your house.
“Let’s say that an above-average, 2,000-square-foot home sells for $180 a square foot, but a similar, inferior home only sells for $160 a square foot. Just that little difference of $20 a foot on a 2,000-square-foot house can be a $40,000 difference,” said Wegner.
He also said expanded closets and open kitchens with dark countertops are popular right now.
The National Association of Homebuilders says updating your laundry room and bathroom linen closet and knocking out a wall to make your kitchen more open are additions that can drive up the value of your home. The Association says those projects can be done for about $5,000 each, but that you can recover the cost when you sell your home.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.