SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Keeping up with the Joneses could pay off in the long run.
Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner said that if you see the neighbors next door doing some remodeling on their house, it might be a good idea to do the same thing.
He also said if you go to sell your house, you may be glad that you invested in the upgrades.
“Banks, appraisers and realtors are going to look at similar homes for comparable sales,” Wegner said. “If you have a remodeled kitchen, they’re going to compare your home to those that have a remodeled kitchen. The same goes for remodeled bathrooms and closets. They’ll be looking at the same type of houses.”
Wegner said that not keeping up with improvements that your neighbor makes could cost you dearly when you try to sell your house.
“Let’s say that an above-average, 2,000-square-foot home sells for $180 a square foot, but a similar, inferior home only sells for $160 a square foot. Just that little difference of $20 a foot on a 2,000-square-foot house can be a $40,000 difference,” said Wegner.
He also said expanded closets and open kitchens with dark countertops are popular right now.
The National Association of Homebuilders says updating your laundry room and bathroom linen closet and knocking out a wall to make your kitchen more open are additions that can drive up the value of your home. The Association says those projects can be done for about $5,000 each, but that you can recover the cost when you sell your home.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon