PHOENIX — The head of the Arizona Super Bowl Committee says preparations are right on schedule for the 2015 game in Glendale, Ariz.
Jay Parry said that even though it has only been six years since Glendale held the Super Bowl, the challenges of hosting the game are different.
“What I have found with the NFL is that it’s a dynamic process, it’s a growing process, and the Super Bowl has gotten a whole lot bigger than in 2008,” Parry said.
For example, the NFL Pro Bowl will also be played at University of Phoenix Stadium one week before the Super Bowl.
Parry said the additional duties of hosting an exhibition between the league’s top stars won’t be too big of a challenge.
“We’ll take the infrastructure that was going to be already in place for the Super Bowl and just extend it a little bit, because the Pro Bowl is going to be so close to Super Bowl,” she said. “It might be a little more work, but I think the payoff far outweighs what that expense is going to be.”
There are other changes in store, too. The NFL Experience will be held in downtown Phoenix. In 2008, it was next to the stadium in Glendale.
Parry said there’s a reason it was there six years ago.
“It’s because downtown Phoenix was under construction,” said Parry. “Now, because we have so many new things going around the Valley, we want to make sure that all of those activities are spread around the Valley.”
But most of the supplementary Super Bowl events were scheduled away from Glendale because Arizona Cardinals President Michael Bidwill complained earlier this year that the city was not able to lock in guarantees for hotel rooms near the stadium, and that it was not pulling its weight when it came to hosting the Super Bowl.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food