PHOENIX — The Sun City, Ariz., man who escaped house arrest Sunday was found dead in his vehicle Tuesday in Peoria, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said his detectives tracked Howard Allen Rudolph’s monitoring device’s activity for the last 10 day to establish a pattern of his behavior.
This led them to an apartment complex near 99th Avenue and Deer Valley Road on Tuesday evening, where the 79-year-old man’s car and his body were found.
“He was slumped over in the front seat and evidently shot himself a couple times with a gun,” Arpaio said.
A warrant was issued Monday for Rudolph, who was on house arrest in the shooting death of his 73-year-old wife last August in what was called a mercy killing.
“The safety of our citizens should matter more [than the financial impacts of putting someone in jail] and that’s precisely why I have opposed home monitoring of convicted criminals. There will always be room in my jails,” Arpaio said in a Tuesday statement.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night