PHOENIX — The Sun City, Ariz., man who escaped house arrest Sunday was found dead in his vehicle Tuesday in Peoria, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio said his detectives tracked Howard Allen Rudolph’s monitoring device’s activity for the last 10 day to establish a pattern of his behavior.
This led them to an apartment complex near 99th Avenue and Deer Valley Road on Tuesday evening, where the 79-year-old man’s car and his body were found.
“He was slumped over in the front seat and evidently shot himself a couple times with a gun,” Arpaio said.
A warrant was issued Monday for Rudolph, who was on house arrest in the shooting death of his 73-year-old wife last August in what was called a mercy killing.
“The safety of our citizens should matter more [than the financial impacts of putting someone in jail] and that’s precisely why I have opposed home monitoring of convicted criminals. There will always be room in my jails,” Arpaio said in a Tuesday statement.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon