PHOENIX — When it comes to Arizona, we’re apparently almost downright normal.
According to Business Insider, Arizona was the sixth-most normal state in the nation, meaning it was most similar to other states in various census figures.
What makes us normal, you ask? Our median apartment rent is just $4 more than the national median of $884 and 13.4 percent of Arizonans were born in a foreign country, compared to 13 percent nationally.
But have no fear! We’re weird too.
Despite being close to the country as a whole on the proportion of residents born abroad, Arizona’s foreign-born residents were less likely to be naturalized citizens — 60.7 [percent] of Arizona’s foreign born population were non-citizens, while the national proportion was about 54.2 [percent]. The effects of the housing boom can also be seen clearly in Arizona — 27.1 [percent] of houses in Arizona have been built since 2000, but only 15.8 [percent] of houses in the United States were that young.
Overall, the most normal state in the nation was Illinois, followed by Washington, Oregon, North Carolina and Indiana, respectively.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night