PHOENIX — When it comes to Arizona, we’re apparently almost downright normal.
According to Business Insider, Arizona was the sixth-most normal state in the nation, meaning it was most similar to other states in various census figures.
What makes us normal, you ask? Our median apartment rent is just $4 more than the national median of $884 and 13.4 percent of Arizonans were born in a foreign country, compared to 13 percent nationally.
But have no fear! We’re weird too.
Despite being close to the country as a whole on the proportion of residents born abroad, Arizona’s foreign-born residents were less likely to be naturalized citizens — 60.7 [percent] of Arizona’s foreign born population were non-citizens, while the national proportion was about 54.2 [percent]. The effects of the housing boom can also be seen clearly in Arizona — 27.1 [percent] of houses in Arizona have been built since 2000, but only 15.8 [percent] of houses in the United States were that young.
Overall, the most normal state in the nation was Illinois, followed by Washington, Oregon, North Carolina and Indiana, respectively.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier