PHOENIX — To mark the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings, nearly two dozen runners gathered for a community run Tuesday in Phoenix.
“I’ve ran 64 marathons since age 50,” said Lyle Langlois, who is approaching 84 years old.
As a runner, participating in Tuesday’s run was something special for him.
“I ran Boston when I was 60 in 1990,” he said.
Before the run started, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema led the group in a moment of silence to mark the somber anniversary.
“Take a minute or two to just honor and remember the lives that we lost and the survivors,” she said. “Some of them who can no longer run.”
The run took off from Runner’s Den near 16th Street and Maryland in Phoenix. For 30 minutes, community members old and young ran side-by-side along a nearby canal and finished near the Arizona Biltmore.
“We’re kind of a family, every runner in the world felt the impact of that day,” said Christina Martinez.
She will be running this year’s Boston Marathon on Monday. As part of Team MR8, Martinez will join Sinema in the run to benefit Martin Richard, the 8-year-old who was killed in the blasts. He was the youngest of the three victims who died that day. More than 260 people were hurt when the twin explosions went off near the finish line.
“A young spectator who probably grew his own affinity for running,” Martinez added. “Maybe someday he would have been the one crossing the finish line.”
The runners who will join Sinema ath this year’s marathon are also raising funds for both the Richard family and the Boston One Fund.
Arizona state Sen. Katie Hobbs was training to run this year’s Boston Marathon along with Team MR8 but she broke her leg during the annual House-Senate softball game last week. That didn’t stop her from being at the community run.
“I’ve done a lot of half marathons, but never a marathon,” she said. “When this opportunity came on I realized I could do it.”
She will still travel to Boston and said she plans on training again once her leg heals.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them