PHOENIX — Some tough talk will take place Tuesday afternoon when Phoenix council members discuss the city manager’s budget proposal.
Among other things, it calls for an extra tax up to $1.50 per month on utility bills, increased fees at recreation centers and cuts to senior and community centers.
“I’m not advocating it,” said Councilman Jim Waring who represents District 2. “I’m going to vote against it, but I do believe there will be a tax increase.”
Waring, who voted against the recent $56,000 salary increase for new City Manager Ed Zuercher, said the city’s nearly $38 million budget shortfall is the city council’s fault.
“We actually have more revenue than we had a year ago. The problem is the revenue projections were so grossly overstated — and I warned about those for the last two years,” Waring explained. “I thought we were claiming way too much revenue in the future, which is now come to pass, and basically that is the problem — that is the shortfall.”
Talk of the budget could be heard over card games at the Washington Activity Center near 23rd Avenue and Glendale. Phoenix resident John Scott said he would be willing to pay more for his membership card, which is currently $10 a year, but he also thinks city leaders could find other ways to save money, like turning up thermostats.
“We always have to complain about the air conditioning being too cold at Devonshire (Center),” Scott said. “That costs money.”
Fellow card player Anne Perry said she would support an extension of the food tax if “it would help keep the centers open.” The tax, which the council approved after declaring a fiscal “emergency,” was reduced from two to 1 percent on January 1, 2014, and is set to expire in April 2015.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food