PHOENIX — More than a dozen airmen at Luke Air Force Base — all with shiny bald heads — are showing support for the young son of a fallen pilot.
It’s been nearly six years since 2nd Lt. David Mitchell died in a pilot training mission at Luke. At the time of the crash, Mitchell’s wife was pregnant with a boy.
Earlier this year, now 5-year-old Brayden Mitchell was diagnosed with kidney cancer. That’s when airmen from all over the world, including Lt. Col. Shamsher Mann, commander of the 62nd Fighter Squadron at Luke, decided to shave their heads in support of little Brayden and his fallen dad.
“It was kind of a no-brainer,” said Mann. “Especially since his father had been in this squadron. So we took my squadron flagship (an F-16 fighter jet), took my name off of it and put Lt. Mitchell’s and Brayden’s name on it. ”
Mann said Brayden’s dad may be gone, but he’s still like family.
“Pretty close ties I would say. We have a saying in this squadron, ‘Once a Spike, always a Spike.'”
More than 400 airmen around the world have shaved their heads for Brayden, who’s already had surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation treatments since he was diagnosed in January.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets