PHOENIX — Crews are working to contain a fire burning near the border of Mexico and the United States in southern Arizona, a Forest Service official said Monday.
According to Heidi Schewel with the Coronado National Forest, the Brown Fire has currently burned about 300 acres and is zero percent contained. It’s in the Huachuca Mountains near Sierra Vista, Ariz. and is in rough terrain.
Two air tankers have been dispatched to fight the blaze along with three helicopters. About 50 firefighters are working the fire, including one hotshot crew. Four more hotshot crews are on the way.
A Type 1 hotshot crew, the same designation as that killed while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire last year, was dispatched to the fire on Monday,
The fire is not endangering any homes.
The Brown Fire is near the burn area of the Monument Fire which burned on both sides of the border in 2011.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this story.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier