PHOENIX — Crews are working to contain a fire burning near the border of Mexico and the United States in southern Arizona, a Forest Service official said Monday.
According to Heidi Schewel with the Coronado National Forest, the Brown Fire has currently burned about 300 acres and is zero percent contained. It’s in the Huachuca Mountains near Sierra Vista, Ariz. and is in rough terrain.
Two air tankers have been dispatched to fight the blaze along with three helicopters. About 50 firefighters are working the fire, including one hotshot crew. Four more hotshot crews are on the way.
A Type 1 hotshot crew, the same designation as that killed while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire last year, was dispatched to the fire on Monday,
The fire is not endangering any homes.
The Brown Fire is near the burn area of the Monument Fire which burned on both sides of the border in 2011.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this story.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon