TEMPE, Ariz. — The $225 million makeover of Sun Devil Stadium on the Arizona State University campus officially got underway Monday.
A crane lifted the team’s video booth, known as the “Crow’s Nest” from its perch on the 56-year-old stadium’s north upper deck to get things started. Over the next three weeks, nine concrete sections of the upper deck will be removed. This will open the north end for fans to see Town Lake and the mountains.
ASU Vice President of Athletics Ray Anderson said a plaza area will be open in time for the upcoming season for fans to see Town Lake and the Valley mountains from the upper deck.
“We’re going to reduce it by about 5,700 seats so the stadium will have approximately 66,000 seats,” Anderson said. “We have an average attendance of 63,000 so nobody will be displaced. Some 320-330 season ticket holders who were in that area have been moved for the 2014 season and have been upgraded in terms of seating.”
The makeover will be completed in 2017.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them