TEMPE, Ariz. — The $225 million makeover of Sun Devil Stadium on the Arizona State University campus officially got underway Monday.
A crane lifted the team’s video booth, known as the “Crow’s Nest” from its perch on the 56-year-old stadium’s north upper deck to get things started. Over the next three weeks, nine concrete sections of the upper deck will be removed. This will open the north end for fans to see Town Lake and the mountains.
ASU Vice President of Athletics Ray Anderson said a plaza area will be open in time for the upcoming season for fans to see Town Lake and the Valley mountains from the upper deck.
“We’re going to reduce it by about 5,700 seats so the stadium will have approximately 66,000 seats,” Anderson said. “We have an average attendance of 63,000 so nobody will be displaced. Some 320-330 season ticket holders who were in that area have been moved for the 2014 season and have been upgraded in terms of seating.”
The makeover will be completed in 2017.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development