PHOENIX — Utility company APS said it is well-positioned to keep the Valley’s air-conditioners running during the summer if wildfires take aim at major power transmission lines.
The utility has about 20,000 miles of overhead power lines in the state, much of that in the high country, so wildfires always pose a potential threat to the system. Spokesman Damon Gross said APS is ready to reroute power to the Valley if the fires threaten the lines.
“We have transmission resources in place so if we have to take a line out of service we are in good shape this summer,” Gross said, adding that it’s possible lines would have to be de-energized because firefighters will often use the area below the lines as a firebreak.
“The smoke can be a conductor and on occasion we will de-energize the lines to protect the firefighters working in the area. Under normal operating conditions APS customers should not expect to see an impact to their service as a result of our having to temporarily de-energize a line,” Gross said.
The National Interagency Fire Center said the dry winter could result in a rapid increase in fire potential in May in eastern Arizona.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.