PHOENIX — A new University of Arizona study shows that a show on MTV that some say is making teenagers think twice about becoming a parent, may be actually doing the opposite.
According to the study, the show “16 and Pregnant, which shows the difficulties that pregnant teenagers face, is actually causing more of them to want to get pregnant.
U of A Professor Jennifer Aubrey said that teens were put to a “TV test” as part of the study.
“We had them watch an episode of the show, or an episode of another MTV show that had nothing to do with teen pregnancy,” said Aubrey. “We also surveyed them on how much they watch ’16 and Pregnant.’ We found that the girls who saw ’16 and Pregnant’ versus the other show, were less likely to think of teen pregnancy as a negative risk for them.”
Appearing on KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend Show,” Aubrey told hosts Becky Lynn and Bob McClay that the show makes teen pregnancy look glamorous.
“The show definitely shows the negative consequences of teen pregnancies throughout the episodes, but and teenager knows that these teen moms are getting all of this attention and monetary compensation from being on the show,” said Aubrey.
The survey is different from previous studies which said that the show leads to a decrease in teen pregnancies.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths