PHOENIX — The tax filing deadline is looming and that means many will be scrambling to meet Tuesday’s cutoff.
Bill Brunson, spokesman with the IRS, recommends last-minute filers use online services to file and for several important reasons.
“That electronically filed tax return won’t let you make a math error,” he said. “(It) won’t let you claim a dependent on a return without a social security number…it just does all those checks and balances for you.”
Brunson said more than 85 percent of Arizonans now use online programs and they have much greater accuracy when filing. On average, roughly 13 percent of paper filings have errors, he said.
Common mistakes include incorrect postage, claiming the wrong filing status, partners forgetting to sign on a joint return and mathematical errors, Brunson said.
“You still have time to file, and if you are going to file, choose to file electronically,” he said.
The IRS even allows people to file for free online using their website.
If filers are running behind and might not make the deadline, Brunson said it’s important to request an extension to save on penalties.
“If you have monies that you’re going to owe and you request the extension to file, then you would be assessed a late-paying penalty,” Brunson said. “But you would not be assessed a late-filing penalty, because you requested the extension to file.”
Requesting an extension allows for an extra six months to submit paperwork and the fee for a late payment is only half a percent, compared to the 5 percent fee for failing to file.
Brunson said out of the 2.8 million tax returns expected to be filed by Arizonans this year, the IRS expects 270,500 people to seek filing extensions.
All filings or requests for extension are due by midnight Tuesday.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.