PHOENIX — A local lawmaker called for a special hearing Friday after the chairman of the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee made some startling comments about the Veterans Affairs hospital in Phoenix.
The chairman, Rep. Jeff Miller, said that as many as 40 patients at the hospital may have died because of prolonged waits for treatment at the hospital. He also claimed the hospital keeps two sets of lists to conceal the waits that patients have to endure for doctor’s appointments and treatment.
Maricopa County Supervisor and congressional candidate Mary Rose Wilcox has sent a letter to Miller, asking him to come to Phoenix to conduct a special hearing on the matter.
“You need to pay attention,” she said she wrote in the letter. “You need to hold a hearing where people can tell you exactly how they feel. We must get recommendations, improvements, and most importantly, appropriate the dollars to change this system.”
Wilcox said that if the allegations against the hospital are true, they’re unacceptable.
“Eighty-one thousand patients go there, they have a budget of $438 million and they still can’t take care of patients the way that they should,” Wilcox said. “This is outrageous, and should never, never be tolerated.”
Wilcox said she had an “abrupt” conversation Friday morning with Phoenix VA Director Sharon Helman, telling her to “get to the bottom of this” and announce how it will be fixed.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon