PHOENIX — A local lawmaker called for a special hearing Friday after the chairman of the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee made some startling comments about the Veterans Affairs hospital in Phoenix.
The chairman, Rep. Jeff Miller, said that as many as 40 patients at the hospital may have died because of prolonged waits for treatment at the hospital. He also claimed the hospital keeps two sets of lists to conceal the waits that patients have to endure for doctor’s appointments and treatment.
Maricopa County Supervisor and congressional candidate Mary Rose Wilcox has sent a letter to Miller, asking him to come to Phoenix to conduct a special hearing on the matter.
“You need to pay attention,” she said she wrote in the letter. “You need to hold a hearing where people can tell you exactly how they feel. We must get recommendations, improvements, and most importantly, appropriate the dollars to change this system.”
Wilcox said that if the allegations against the hospital are true, they’re unacceptable.
“Eighty-one thousand patients go there, they have a budget of $438 million and they still can’t take care of patients the way that they should,” Wilcox said. “This is outrageous, and should never, never be tolerated.”
Wilcox said she had an “abrupt” conversation Friday morning with Phoenix VA Director Sharon Helman, telling her to “get to the bottom of this” and announce how it will be fixed.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier