PHOENIX — Taxi and rideshare companies are squaring off as the Arizona Legislature mulls a bill that would give rideshares an exception from certain regulations.
“Arizona really is the most free and open for-hire transportation market anywhere in the country today,” said Mike Pinckard, president of Gilbert, Ariz.-based Discount Cab. “Anybody can come into this market with as many vehicles, as many drivers (as they want). There’s no limits on rates, there’s very few consumer protections and safety protections required to operate in this market. Anybody can be here.”
The issue at hand, according to Pinckard, comes down to a regulation that requires cab companies such as Discount to carry certain insurance at all times. If House Bill 2262 is approved, rideshare services, such as Uber and Lyft, would be exempt from that requirement.
“They’re simply not buying insurance on the vehicles as required by the law,” he said. “That’s all this is about.”
However, HB 2262 would require services such as Uber to carry a $1 million policy and conduct background checks, something the rideshare company said it already does.
“From the moment that a rider enters the vehicle through the end of that trip, there is $1 million in insurance coverage per incident,” said Uber spokesperson Nairi Hourdajian. “In addition, that $1 million extends to uninsured and underinsured drivers as well, meaning that no matter who is at fault, there is coverage in place.”
Hourdajian also said Uber requires drivers to pass a comprehensive background check that includes both a criminal and driving history along with a sex offender screening.
So what is the argument really about? According to Hourdajian, it’s about fear of competition.
“This is really about that the taxi industry has been underserving Arizonans for decades and Uber is different,” she said. “Uber is different because Arizonans can get a ride when they want one. It’s different because drivers who are utilizing the Uber platform…are making better money.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier