PHOENIX — Almost 24,000 Arizona residents are missing out on $17.5 million in tax refunds because they didn’t file federal income-tax returns for 2010.
Stephanie Fierro with the Fruitkin Law Firm in Phoenix said this won’t be a payday for everybody.
“If you were required to file for 2010 and didn’t, then you’re probably going to have penalties that could outweigh the refund you had due,” she said. “That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t file if you’re not in compliance with the law.”
The Arizona tally is part of more than $750 million in expected refunds for more than 900,000 taxpayers across the nation who didn’t file the 2010 tax returns.
Thousands of Arizonans who did not file a tax return due to a low income had taxes withheld from their wages in 2010 and they have a right to the refund.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.