PHOENIX — Almost 24,000 Arizona residents are missing out on $17.5 million in tax refunds because they didn’t file federal income-tax returns for 2010.
Stephanie Fierro with the Fruitkin Law Firm in Phoenix said this won’t be a payday for everybody.
“If you were required to file for 2010 and didn’t, then you’re probably going to have penalties that could outweigh the refund you had due,” she said. “That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t file if you’re not in compliance with the law.”
The Arizona tally is part of more than $750 million in expected refunds for more than 900,000 taxpayers across the nation who didn’t file the 2010 tax returns.
Thousands of Arizonans who did not file a tax return due to a low income had taxes withheld from their wages in 2010 and they have a right to the refund.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development