PHOENIX — Valley firefighters will be trying to fill their boots with money starting Friday.
It’s the Fill the Boot drive to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA).
“Firefighters will be (at) the front of Fry’s stores with the actual boots that they use to fight fires, and will be asking patrons to make a donation to help support the local Arizona Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association,” said MDA Fundraising Coordinator Tina Wadham.
This is the 60th year of the boot drive, which has raised $650,000 in Arizona since 2009. The goal this year is to match last year’s total of $150,000.
The money funds research to find a cure for muscular dystrophy. It also provides equipment for patients, and pays for a summer camp for kids in Payson.
Some of the money goes to the patients themselves.
“We provide our clients with $500 per year to help repair their durable medical equipment, including things like wheelchairs,” Wadham said.
Firefighters will hit the streets to start collecting donations around the Arizona Center in downtown Phoenix Friday afternoon. They will also be outside of various Fry’s Food and Drug stores collecting money for the next three Saturdays.
To find out when the firefighters will be collecting money at a Fry’s store in your area, call the Muscular Dystrophy Association at (480)-753-9084.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments