PHOENIX — Valley firefighters will be trying to fill their boots with money starting Friday.
It’s the Fill the Boot drive to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA).
“Firefighters will be (at) the front of Fry’s stores with the actual boots that they use to fight fires, and will be asking patrons to make a donation to help support the local Arizona Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association,” said MDA Fundraising Coordinator Tina Wadham.
This is the 60th year of the boot drive, which has raised $650,000 in Arizona since 2009. The goal this year is to match last year’s total of $150,000.
The money funds research to find a cure for muscular dystrophy. It also provides equipment for patients, and pays for a summer camp for kids in Payson.
Some of the money goes to the patients themselves.
“We provide our clients with $500 per year to help repair their durable medical equipment, including things like wheelchairs,” Wadham said.
Firefighters will hit the streets to start collecting donations around the Arizona Center in downtown Phoenix Friday afternoon. They will also be outside of various Fry’s Food and Drug stores collecting money for the next three Saturdays.
To find out when the firefighters will be collecting money at a Fry’s store in your area, call the Muscular Dystrophy Association at (480)-753-9084.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night