PHOENIX — Valley firefighters will be trying to fill their boots with money starting Friday.
It’s the Fill the Boot drive to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA).
“Firefighters will be (at) the front of Fry’s stores with the actual boots that they use to fight fires, and will be asking patrons to make a donation to help support the local Arizona Chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association,” said MDA Fundraising Coordinator Tina Wadham.
This is the 60th year of the boot drive, which has raised $650,000 in Arizona since 2009. The goal this year is to match last year’s total of $150,000.
The money funds research to find a cure for muscular dystrophy. It also provides equipment for patients, and pays for a summer camp for kids in Payson.
Some of the money goes to the patients themselves.
“We provide our clients with $500 per year to help repair their durable medical equipment, including things like wheelchairs,” Wadham said.
Firefighters will hit the streets to start collecting donations around the Arizona Center in downtown Phoenix Friday afternoon. They will also be outside of various Fry’s Food and Drug stores collecting money for the next three Saturdays.
To find out when the firefighters will be collecting money at a Fry’s store in your area, call the Muscular Dystrophy Association at (480)-753-9084.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy