PHOENIX – As the housing and construction industries continue to recover, there is a shortage of labor in Arizona.
Rebekah Morris, publisher of Arizona Builder’s Exchange, a construction trade magazine, said many jobs left when the recession hit and they haven’t come back.
“The recession just killed us, as an industry it killed construction,” she said. “Those workers had to do something … you don’t put your life on hold for 5 years, you have to find something (so) they found employment either out of state and stayed in the industry or they left the industry.”
Morris said the shortage is also due to cultural attitudes toward the industry.
“We’re not telling our kids, our high school kids and our junior high kids it’s OK if you don’t want to go to college, you can still make a decent living if you go get a skill,” she said. “Culturally, we’re telling them, ‘you have to go to college, you have to go be a white-collar professional.'”
The void could have negative effects on consumers as the shortage will drive up the price of labor, Morris said.
“They’re absorbing it right now,” Morris said. “That will eventually hit the bid price. Your prices for construction will go up because of the demand for labor.”
She encourages people to look into the construction industry and said people can to go vocational or trade schools for a lot less money and time commitment than college.
“You can go start earning immediately,” she said. “If you did four to six years of training as an apprentice or just as a trainee at a private company, you will probably be making as much after those four to six years as your entry-level college graduates, but you will have no debt.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick