PHOENIX – As the housing and construction industries continue to recover, there is a shortage of labor in Arizona.
Rebekah Morris, publisher of Arizona Builder’s Exchange, a construction trade magazine, said many jobs left when the recession hit and they haven’t come back.
“The recession just killed us, as an industry it killed construction,” she said. “Those workers had to do something … you don’t put your life on hold for 5 years, you have to find something (so) they found employment either out of state and stayed in the industry or they left the industry.”
Morris said the shortage is also due to cultural attitudes toward the industry.
“We’re not telling our kids, our high school kids and our junior high kids it’s OK if you don’t want to go to college, you can still make a decent living if you go get a skill,” she said. “Culturally, we’re telling them, ‘you have to go to college, you have to go be a white-collar professional.'”
The void could have negative effects on consumers as the shortage will drive up the price of labor, Morris said.
“They’re absorbing it right now,” Morris said. “That will eventually hit the bid price. Your prices for construction will go up because of the demand for labor.”
She encourages people to look into the construction industry and said people can to go vocational or trade schools for a lot less money and time commitment than college.
“You can go start earning immediately,” she said. “If you did four to six years of training as an apprentice or just as a trainee at a private company, you will probably be making as much after those four to six years as your entry-level college graduates, but you will have no debt.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.