An Arizona doctor is working on rolling out a new medical device with the help of a partnership between the Mayo Clinic and Ireland’s enterprise development arm.
Dr. Vijay Singh is a gastroenterologist with the Mayo Clinic and the inventor of a new medical device aimed at treating acute pancreatitis.
He said the device helps cool the stomach, which is located next to the pancreas, and can help reduce inflammation.
Now with the help of Enterprise Ireland, Singh said the project is moving into the next phase of testing.
“To move a thing from the bench to the bedside (in the United States) can be a fairly challenging task,” he said. “Just because of the logistics and resources, (it) cannot reach the bedside.”
He said the partnership could be a road map for future testing of medical products because it is providing an alternative source of funding while it difficult to obtain research funding in the U.S.
“The benefit as I see is there is a hope of taking similar technologies from the bench to the bedside, make it more relevant to our patients, help them more,” he said.
“I can generate an idea, the concept, show in proof or principle that this makes sense, show it’s feasibility … but that where my resources and my skill stops.”
Enterprise Ireland has agreed to give $16 million to the partnership and further development of Singh’s device is already underway at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon