PHOENIX — A U.S. congressman who represents the East Valley employed a wave of candor when discussing the resignation of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on Thursday.
Rep. Matt Salmon, a Republican of Arizona’s 5th District — Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert and Queen Creek — is no less surprised than he is pleased to see Sebelius’ resignation, saying it was “none too soon.”
“She’s presided over one of the most horrendous failures in public policy,” Salmon told KTAR.
“The rollout of Obamacare was atrocious. Under her watch, they wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on folks that designed a very faulty website. It’s still having glitches this very day and moment.”
Salmon’s take echoes the repeatedly stated sentiment sounding from the right side of the aisle in Washington. Sebelius, Salmon would say, happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time as the HHS secretary during the materialization of the Affordable Care Act.
“While you can’t focus all of your attention on Kathleen Sebelius — she didn’t pass the law — she presided over the implementation and it’s been a horrendous failure,” he said.
But it isn’t just Sebelius who is getting the flak from Salmon’s party.
“The president, as he is fond of doing, is always looking for some scapegoat and somebody else to blame for the mistakes of his administration,” he went on.
“The problem is — and I think most Americans realize this — is this was his law. He pushed it and the promises he made have not been kept.”
Sebelius’ resignation could set the stage for a contentious election-year confirmation hearing for whomever Obama nominates to replace her. Sebelius has served as HHS secretary since the start of the Obama administration.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick